Forest County Potawatomi
|POSITION TITLE:||Solid Waste/Recycling Collector|
|DEPARTMENT:||Solid Waste Recycling|
|SUPERVISOR:||Housing Division Administrator|
Under general supervision of the Housing Division Administrator, collects refuse and recyclable materials from the residences on the Forest County Potawatomi Reservation for disposal or processing. Maintains confidentiality of privileged information.
This list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only of the essential duties and responsibilities. The employee is expected to perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Performs curbside collection of solid waste and recyclable materials.
- Inspects trucks prior to beginning route to ensure safe operating conditions. Checks and fills fluids, greases equipment, replacing parts, washing and cleaning vehicles and equipment and reporting faulty equipment.
- Monitors the condition of solid waste and recycling containers at Tribal homes and coordinates repair if necessary.
- Safely handles and stores household hazardous and special wastes.
- Inspects and monitors equipment to ensure safety and proper operating conditions.
- Assists in performing general cleaning/maintenance tasks necessary to keep equipment in good operating condition.
- Assists with hauling, transportation, loading, or unloading of various pieces of equipment.
- Operates 1 ton dump truck.
- Operates heavy equipment (backhoe, skid steer, etc.)
- Encourages individual and household participation in the recycling program and in proper management of solid and household hazardous waste.
- Maintains the solid waste facility in a clean, well-organized manner avoiding potential safety and fire hazards.
- Performs special cleanup projects to include illegal open dumps and yard waste/brush management.
- May assist in demolition of unwanted or unsafe structures.
- Maintains confidentiality of all privileged information.
- Contributes to a team effort and accomplishes related results as required.
- Maintains regular and punctual attendance.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license and be eligible for coverage under the Tribe’s Insurance.
- Hazardous waste and recycling training certificate preferred.
- Must successfully pass a background check and pre-employment drug screening.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of workplace safety requirements and practices.
- Knowledge of requirements and standards related to the safe and efficient operation of required vehicles.
- Knowledge of Tribal lands useful.
- Ability to communicate effectively in the English language, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with individuals of varying social and cultural backgrounds and with co-workers at all levels.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to analyze situations and adopt appropriate courses of action.
- Ability to work independently and meet strict time lines.
- Ability to make solid decisions and exercise independent judgment.
- Skill in operating 1 ton dump truck.
- Skill in operating backhoe, other equipment and hand tools needed for conducting solid waste work (not necessary, will train.)
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly is required to sit and stand; taste or smell; have manual and finger dexterity; stoop, and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk. The employee is occasionally required to crawl, climb heights, reach above shoulder level, crouch, kneel, balance, push/pull, and carry. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
Work is performed in an office setting with a moderate noise level and in outside environments with moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises. Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, and requires following safety precautions. Vaccinations (Tetanus and Hepatitis) are not a requirement for this position but are available at no cost from the tribal Health & Wellness Center, at the employee’s request. Evening and/or weekend work may be required. Extended hours and irregular shifts may be required.
As a federally recognized Indian Tribe, Forest County Potawatomi Community reserves the right to exercise preference in hiring for qualified Tribal members/Indians in connection with all positions and job openings.
CLOSING: Until Filled