|POSITION TITLE:||<strong>Land Surveyor </strong>|
|DEPARTMENT:||<strong>Natural Resources </strong>|
|SUPERVISOR:||<strong>Land Information Director</strong>|
Under general supervision of the Land Information Director, organizes, plans and directs technical or specialized work of one or more survey parties in order to determine elevations of mapmaking, land division, and titles or other purposes. Performs land surveys. Maintains confidentiality of privileged information.
This list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only of the tasks performed by this position and is not all-inclusive.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Meets with tribal members scheduled for land surveys.
- Directs or conducts surveys in order to establish legal boundaries for properties to establish or re-establish land and property boundaries, property surveys, topographic surveys, boundary disputes, residential lease sites, crime sites, business lease sites, and right-of-ways.
- Obtains land survey data such as angels, elevation points, and contours using surveying instruments.
- Select measuring points in consideration of terrain and necessity for control points and sets rebar’s, stakes and other survey points.
- Oversees and prepares sketches, maps, reports, and legal descriptions of surveys within Auto Cad in order to describe, certify, and assume liability for work performed.
- Verifies the accuracy of survey data, including measurements and calculations.
- Verifies or records the results of surveys, including the shape contours, location, elevation, and dimensions of land or land features into computer.
- Prepares or supervises preparation of all data, charts, plots, maps, records, and documents related to surveys.
- Establishes fixed points for use in making maps using a total station, level and/or satellite-based global positioning systems (GPS).
- Researches legal and historical records from local surveyors, city, county, state and federal agencies for probate and court matters.
- Maintains current working knowledge of trends in land surveying.
- Enhances professional growth and development through participation in seminars, educational workshops, classes and conferences.
- Ensures the maintenance of all surveying, drafting equipment and vehicles.
- Contributes to a team effort and accomplishes related results as required.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Associate’s Degree in Land Surveying or related field
- Three years as a Land Surveyor.
- Registration as a Professional Land Surveyor preferred.
- Valid Wisconsin driver’s license and eligible for coverage under the Tribe’s Insurance prior to an actual start date. Must maintain a valid Wisconsin driver’s license as a condition of employment.
- Successfully pass a background check and pre-employment drug screening.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of cartographic/mapping systems and related software use and application.
- Knowledge of mapping symbols, standards, and terminology.
- Knowledge of basic surveying techniques, principles and proper safety techniques.
- Knowledge of surveying calculations with a hand held calculator and familiarity with Auto-CAD, surveying software and surveying equipment.
- Knowledge of design techniques involved in the production and use of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings and models.
- Knowledge with fieldwork associated with surveying; traverse topographic, contour, leveling and other related surveying duties.
- Knowledge of the proper care and operation of all surveying and drafting equipment.
- Ability to extract essential information from official government plats and surveys; the ability to read a legal description, right-of-way maps, private surveying plats and aerial photos.
- Ability to operate a chainsaw, power tools, and ATV/UTV
- Ability to communicate efficiently and effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment.
- Ability to interact and maintain good working relationships with individuals of varying social and cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently and meet strict time lines.
- Skill in preparing, reviewing, and analyzing operational and financial reports.
- Skill in supervising, training, and evaluating assigned staff.
- Skill in analyzing problems, projecting consequences, identifying solutions, and implementing recommendations.
- Skill in operating various word-processing, spreadsheets, and database software programs.
- Skill in system troubleshooting and problem-solving.
- Skill in using hand and power tools.
- Skill in reviewing and analyzing complex technical manuals or journals.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly is required to stand for up to 8 hours per day; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Work requires extensive lifting, bending, carrying, loading, unloading and transporting equipment and supplies. Standing and walking may be on uneven surfaces or unstable ground. Requires extensive repetitive use of hands and arms to use tools. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Work is regularly performed both indoors in an office setting with a moderate noise level and outdoors where exposure to natural weather conditions and various dusts and mists may occur. Prolonged standing and walking may be on uneven surfaces or unstable ground. Situations where safety-toe shoes, safety goggles, gloves, protective face shields, or hardhats are needed may occur. Evening and/or weekend work may be required. Extended hours and irregular shifts may be required.
*Must have a valid Wisconsin Driver’s license and be authorized as eligible for coverage under the Tribe’s Insurance prior to an actual start date. *Must maintain a valid Wisconsin Driver’s license as a condition of employment. *Must pass a background check, which will be performed on all applicants. *Must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screening.
As authorized by Federal Law, the Forest County Potawatomi Community reserves the right to exercise preference in hiring for qualified Tribal members/Indians in connection with all job openings.
CLOSING: Until Filled
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://www.fcpotawatomi.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/FCP_Employment_Application_v3.pdf →