Forest County Potawatomi
Administrative Assistant II
Under general direction of the Manager, performs a variety of administrative and staff support duties for the Utilities department, which require a range of skills and a knowledge of organizational policies and procedures. Assists and directs visitors, and resolves administrative problems and inquiries; composes, edits, and proofreads correspondence and reports, and prepares a range of administrative documents. Maintains confidentiality of all privileged information.
This list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only of the tasks performed by this position and is not all-inclusive.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Welcomes visitors, determines nature of business, and announces visitors to appropriate personnel, maintaining professional and courteous demeanor Performs a wide variety of typing assignments which are sometimes confidential in nature; operates personal computer to enter data, draft, edit, revise, and print letters, tables, reports, and other materials.
- Greets and directs visitors, as and when appropriate; resolves routine administrative problems and answers inquiries concerning activities and operations of department.
- Coordinates and performs a range of staff and/or operational support activities for the department; serves as a liaison with other departments and operating units in the resolution of day-to-day administrative and operational problems.
- Provides administrative support for the department/division such as answering telephones, assisting visitors, and resolving and/or referring a range of administrative problems and inquiries.
- Operates personal computer to compose and edit correspondence and/or memoranda from dictation, verbal direction, or from knowledge of established department policies; may prepare, transcribe, compose, type, edit, and distribute agendas and/or minutes of meetings.
- Produces wph kwh usage reports.
- Schedules and coordinates meetings, events, interviews, appointments, and/or other similar activities for supervisors, which may include coordinating travel and lodging arrangements.
- Prepares or assists with the preparation of scheduled and/or ad hoc statistical and narrative reports; performs basic information gathering and analysis and/or forecasting, as specifically directed.
- Assists management and staff in problem solving, project planning, and development and execution of stated goals and objectives.
- Posts, balances, monitors, and reconciles internal department monthly ledgers, budgets, and financial reporting system reports; may prepare drafts of budget planning documents; may serve as department book holder and/or paymaster; may manage petty cash disbursements and reconciliations.
- Establishes, maintains, and updates files, databases, records, and/or other documents; develops and maintains data, and performs routine analyses and calculations in the processing of data for recurring internal reports.
- Sorts, screens, reviews, and distributes incoming and outgoing mail; composes, prepares, or ensures timely responses to a variety of routine written inquiries.
- Requisitions supplies, printing, maintenance, and other services.
- May leads and train lower graded staff as required.
- Maintains confidentiality of all privileged information.
- Contributes to a team effort and accomplishes related results as required.
- Performs other duties as required.
High School Diploma or GED plus three years administrative or secretarial experience, accounting or bookkeeping experience preferred. Utility experience preferred. Associates Degree in Administration or related field preferred. Must successfully pass a pre-employment drug/alcohol screen, tuberculosis screening, and background investigation.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, and equipment.
- Knowledge of business English, proper spelling, grammar, punctuation, and basic arithmetic.
- Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering and inventory control.
- Knowledge of general accounting principles.
- Ability to communicate effectively in the English language both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with individuals of varying social and cultural backgrounds and with co-workers at all levels.
- Ability to represent organization in a professional manner, building respect and confidence in the community.
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
- Ability to gather and analyze statistical data and generate reports.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Ability to lead and train staff and/or students.
- Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and judgments.
- Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials.
- Ability to maintain calendars and schedule appointments.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in verbal or written format.
- Skill in operating business computers and office machines, including in a Windows environment, specifically Word, Excel, Access, and presentation software (such as PowerPoint).
- Database management skills
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly is required to sit; use hands and fingers to handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee occasionally is required to stand; walk; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
Work is generally performed in an office setting with a moderate noise level. Work environment may involve exposure to physical risks, such as blood borne pathogens. Evening and/or weekend work may be required. Extended hours and irregular shifts may be required.
*Must have a valid Wisconsin Driver’s license and be authorized as eligible for coverage under the Tribe’s Insurance prior to an actual start date. *Must maintain a valid Wisconsin Driver’s license as a condition of employment. *Must pass a background check, which will be performed on all applicants. *Must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screening.
As authorized by Federal Law, the Forest County Potawatomi Community reserves the right to exercise preference in hiring for qualified Tribal members/Indians in connection with all job openings.
CLOSING: Until Filled