National Nutrition Month® is an annual campaign by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. This March, make informed choices about food and practice healthy eating and physical activity habits. This year, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics has chosen to focus on the small steps you can take to improve your health through nutrition with their campaign: Eat Right, Bite by Bite!
You can improve your health through these four simple steps:
- Eat a variety of nutritious foods every day.
- When making your plate or planning meals for the week, try to include a healthy food from every food group: fruits, vegetables, protein, grains, and dairy.
- Eat the rainbow by incorporating a fruit or vegetable of every color into your diet every day.
- Aim to try a new fruit or vegetable every week!
- Plan your meals each week.
- Choose a few healthy recipes to make throughout the week and create a grocery list to bring with you to the store.
- Search for easy-to-make healthy lunch recipes to bring to school or work.
- Choose healthy snacks in between meals. Choose foods from two or more of the food groups when making a snack. For example, snack on apple slices and a serving of peanut butter.
- Learn skills to create tasty meals.
- Pay attention to your portions. Use half of your plate for fruits and vegetables and the other half for grains and proteins!
- Practice food safety at home by washing hands before, during, and after preparing food.
- Reduce food waste and save money by being mindful of foods you have on hand before shopping. Try to only buy what you will use or freeze within a few days.
- Consult a Registered Dietician Nutritionist (RDN).
- RDNs are experts on food and nutrition and can provide education and advice that help people live healthy lives.
- An RDN can help you by providing nutrition advice that meets your personal needs – whether you want to lower your health risks, lose weight, or manage a chronic disease.
FCP Community Health is celebrating National Nutrition Month by offering activities that promote healthy living through nutrition. You and your family can celebrate National Nutrition Month and Eat Right, Bite By Bite by participating in the activities below.
- Kid’s Coloring Contest – FCP affiliated children ages 0-12 can complete one Eat Right, Bite By Bite coloring page and enter to win a prize. Coloring pages can be found in FCP Community Health, and the Health & Wellness Center lobby. The contest opens March 1st with entries due by March 31st.
- FCP Tribal Wellvation National Nutrition Month ® Trivia – Tribal Wellvation participants will have the chance to earn points through nutrition trivia in ManageWell. Those who complete the trivia will also be entered to win a prize.
- Sample Healthy Recipes at FCP Community Health Taste Test –– Try tasty dishes made from fruits and vegetables of the month: carrots, grapes, and cabbage. Sign in at the event to be entered to win fun prizes. The taste test will be held in the Health & Wellness Center lobby located in Stone Lake on March 26th from 1-3pm.